Founded at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market in Carrboro, NC in 2009, Farmer Foodshare is a nonprofit social enterprise that connects people who grow food with people who need food in North Carolina. Farmer Foodshare programs work to build a local food system that is financially sustainable and socially just for everyone. Learn more at farmerfoodshare.org. Farmer Foodshare is based in Durham, North Carolina.
About the Position
The Executive Director (ED) is a key leadership role responsible for ensuring Farmer Foodshare’s growth and development in accordance with its mission and values. The ED works in close partnership with the Board of Directors, staff, and core volunteers to set strategic direction, build and manage financial and human resources, and provide operational leadership and management. The ED is the organization’s lead fundraiser and is expected to bring an entrepreneurial approach to diversifying funding in support of the organization’s long-term vision. The ED will have deep knowledge and passion for the field of food system innovation, with a focus on community food security, health equity, and ensuring farm economic sustainability. The ED also understands how to engage diverse communities and build trust while leading and developing local support, core programming, operations, and business plans.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Fundraising & Communications
- Act as primary relationship builder for the Farmer Foodshare network, including but not limited to individual donors, corporate and private foundation officers, and other stakeholders.
- Take the lead on all aspects of development, including grant writing, philanthropic outreach, individual donor appeals, events, fee-for-service programs, and capital funding.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from in-person outreach to web presence with the goal of building brand identity and stronger relationships
- Act as the public spokesperson for Farmer Foodshare in the community and beyond; use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Leadership & Management
- Partner with the board in translating the organization’s long-term vision and mission into a strategic frameworkwithannual goals and action plans
- Provide financial planning and leadership; develop annual and capital budgets and ensure that monitoring, reporting and control processes are accurate and up-to-date
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence andoutcome-based evaluations; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee
- Attract, lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performance team of staff and volunteers
Planning & New Business
- Build partnerships in new markets and establish relationships with volunteers, funders, and community leaders
- Publish and communicate program results with an emphasis on the success of the local programs as a model for regional and national replication.
- Extensive experience with grant writing to fund a growing organization
- Extensive experience networking and building relationships with stakeholders and funders (e.g., government officials, executives, major donors).
- Experience in non-profit leadership and management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Strong financial management skills with demonstrated experience in annual and capital budget development and management
- Passion for the mission of Farmer Foodshare
- A working understanding of local food systems in North Carolina
- A proven track record of working effectively within communities of color
- A proven ability to build relationships and bridges among diverse community stakeholders, businesses and infrastructure.
- Experience in coaching, and relationship management
- Experience in the leadership of food justice, sustainable agricultural, and/or health equity organizations
Submit a resume and a 1-page cover letter detailing why you are the right person for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reviews of applicants will begin March 1, 2014. Position open until filled.
Compensation and Relocation: This position is grant-funded and full-time, exempt. Salary is based on experience. The position includes a healthcare stipend, collaborative working environment, and paid vacation. There is no funding for relocation, and the position is based in the Triangle area of NC.
Farmer Foodshare works to provide fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Farmer Foodshare hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.